Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Reg Gupton suggests a way to have boundaries in your business and life

The other day on a coaching call, a client was complaining about intrusions into his personal life by his business. He had rec'd a call late one Friday evening about something that was not an emergency. It interrupted his time with his family. He was not happy.

In these days since cell phones have become ubiquitous we think that we must be always available to our clients and customers. Not so.

You can establish proper boundaries with a little thought about your business card.

We discussed the information which was included on his business card. I proposed the following:
1. Name and designations if appropriate
2. Company name and logo
3. Mailing address
4. Office phone
5. Office fax
6. Email address
7. Web site.

You will notice that there is no home phone nor cell number. Customers, clients and prospects are trainable. Unless you are an emergency room physician or a service person who needs to be on call 24/7, establish boundaries by only including the information above.

What are you comments about my suggestion? Comment below or send me an email directly.

I would love to hear from you about this or any other issue.

To your continued success,

Reg Gupton
gupton@growthseminars.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another way is to not answer the cell (or home #) after x-o'clock
unless your caller id shows it as from friend, family, or an expected business exception. If you're too anal to go cold turkey, let the call go unanswered anyway to avoid interrupting your personal or family time, and then check voice mail at a more convenient time to see if it really was an emergency. (Still soon enough for non-ER-surgeons.)

Gene

Anonymous said...

I think a person could include a cell number since a LOT of people do business on-the-run. Mine allows me to see WHO is calling me.

If it's not a number I know, if I'm at home having family time, I'll probably not answer it. If it's a friend, then I can see if I want to answer or not

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, I dined with my monthly Lunch Bunch. The gal whom sat next to me had gotten 2 cell calls during that one hour lunch. It disrupted our fellowship & her food got cold, how rude! She claimed, she can go days without getting any calls. I don't beleive it. It is curtious to park your cell during quality time with others! IMHO...

Anonymous said...

I am glad I took your advice on not putting my cell phone number on my business card. I will, however, give it to clients after I have developed a relationship with them, and tell them I do not publish my cell phone number. It seems to speed up the trust bond between us!

Amy