Saturday, August 22, 2009

Reg Gupton's The Top 10 things to have each mgr's employee answer

Buckingham and Clifton advocate out of the box ways of working. These are explained in their book, "Now, Discover Your Strengths." Managing is more and more complex today than it has ever been. They endorse holding each manager accountable for creating the following outcomes, in the way they work best. This list, (shortened from 12 to 10) is to be asked of each manager's employees.

When worded exactly this way, they say, "they predict employee turnover, productivity, profitability, and customer loyalty. Asked twice a year, they provide the most robust and most relevant measure of a manager's impact on his or her employees" yet they do not dictate the manager's means to this end.

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?

2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work properly?

3. At work do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?

4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?

5. Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?

6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development? In the last six months have I talked with someone about my progress? This last year have I had opportunities at work to learn and grow?

7. At work do my opinions seem to count?

8. Are my coworkers committed to doing quality work?

9. Do I have a best friend at work?

10. Does the mission of my company make me feel like my work is important?

To your continued success,

Reg Gupton

No comments: