Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Do you really have a million things to do?

Ever say to yourself that you have a million things to do today? Do you really? I bet not. You might have a handful. Maybe a dozen. Not a million.

If you find that you spend lots of time being frantic and frenetic maybe changing how you handle the day is as simple as telling your brain that you have a few things to do rather than a million things.

If you tell your brain that you have a large number of things to do, then your brain will gear up to handle this gargantuan number of activities. And your will be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, rather than moving smoothly from one task to the next.

One of my clients begins every day with her "High Five." These are the top 5 activities that must be completed today. Regardless.

Recently I was listening to a CD in my Automobile University. (Look here for more information on this powerful concept.) I heard one person add an interesting spin on the High Five. This speaker suggested that you stay with one task until it is completed. Not jump around (and around). Stay focused on only one task at a time until it is finished.

I know that I jump around. I often describe my attention span as very, very, very short and getting longer.

How do you stay focused on what you need to do? I would be interested in learning from you.

Click "Comment" at the bottom of the post to tell us all.

To your continued success,

Reg Gupton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great tip I received for staying focused is to use a timer. Set a timer for 15 minutes and tell yourself you will only work on that project. It's also a great way to tackle big projects (10 timed minutes a day)!

Amber Pelon