Friday, December 08, 2006

Draw a T

Yesterday, I was teaching a Business Planning class to a number of Realtors in the Keller Williams office in Boulder where I live.

At the beginning of the class I had them turn their handout over to the back blank page. I then taught them a technique that I have both used and taught for years and years to get more out of any seminar or workshop you attend.

Here it is. Draw a line vertically down the middle of the page from the top to the bottom. Then on the left side at the top write "to-do", on the right side write "ah-ha." You can spell ah-ha any way you like.

Then write your action items on the left and on the right side write down the items that are an explanation of why something is or how it work, as if a light bulb goes on in your head. I like to say those epiphanous moments.

For me seminars are about learning and action. Using this tool, you can easily record your action items and the most important things you learned in one convenient place.

At the end of the program, you can if you like, throw away the workbook and save only your to-do/ah ha page. I have a file in by desk drawer labeled "Conference Notes." And have done away with what I call my intelligent bookshelf. You know, those workbooks that you are going to pull out and use some time, which never comes.

Reg Gupton

No comments: