Saturday, December 16, 2006

Reg Gupton posts a book review of Think and Grow RIch

Think and Grow Rich
by Napoleon Hill

Reviewed by Reg Gupton

The other day a friend and I were talking about progress and getting unstuck. I mentioned that over the years I had received much support and incredible ideas from my Master Mind Group. “What is a MasterMind Group. I’ve never heard of one” my friend said.

I then launched into a story about Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. “Never heard of it” he said. Being a passionate reader, I take time to read all sorts of things. Magazines to articles to mysteries to techno thrillers to business books. I am guilty of assuming that others read the same amount. I know that this is not true and I can dream.

Andrew Carnegie, 1835-1919, the multi-millionaire of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century challenged Napoleon Hill, to study more than two decades and interview more than 500 extremely wealthy men to reveal the source of their riches. He did as challenged. Think and Grow Rich is the result. The book was first published in 1937.

Hill interviewed people like Henry Ford, George Eastman, Charles Schwab, Theodore Roosevelt, William Jennings Bryan, J. Ogden Armour and too many other successful men to list here. They were the wealthiest and most prominent men of the early 20th century.

Quoting from the notes from the author, “…all achievement, all earned riches, have their beginnings in an idea.” Very, very true.

Hill lists 13 principles of success. For example:

desire, the starting point of all achievement,
faith, visualization of, and belief in the attainment of desire,
autosuggestion, the medium for influencing the subconscious mind
and 10 others.

The book characterizes a meeting of minds or better put, "Mastermind Alliance" where many people put their thoughts, ideas, and experiences together to create a synergy and compilation of ideas that benefits each individual. Read Think and Grow Rich to learn more about the Mastermind principle and many other ground breaking ideas that I have found so useful in my life.

While re-reading my copy, dog eared, marked up, I recalled that for years I read this powerful book every year between Christmas and New Years. Every year when I revisited the book I took something new away. The book was the same and I was different.

I have slipped out of the habit over the past several years. It is now in my reminder system to be re-read every year from now on. You should read it too.

You can add this timeless classic to your library here: Think and Grow Rich: The Andrew Carnegie formula for money making

Reg Gupton

1 comment:

Evan Carmichael said...

Great post Reg!

I write a blog on Mastermind Groups and have put in a post about your blog.

Keep up the great work! I'll certainly be re-reading the book this holiday break!

Evan.