Friday, December 15, 2006

Reg Gupton's Top 10 Interview Questions

During one my first jobs decades ago, I was hired to be the Assistant Administrator in a 120 bed acute-care hospital in Michigan. One of my many duties was overseeing the Personnel Department. We now call this critical function Human Resources. After about a week I went to the Administrator, a Mercy Order nun. I, as politely as possible, informed her that I was clueless in the area of interviewing candidates for jobs in the hospital.

She told me to find a class in this subject and sign-up and take it. That I did. One of the most important things that came out of this class is the list of questions that follows. I have used them ever since. They have served me well in hiring at all levels. From Controllers and other senior level people to Professional Assistants in my real estate career and every level in between.

Use them well. Oh, there are 11 questions. You get a bonus. If you don't do the hiring for your organization, forward these important tools on to the person that does.

1. Describe to me a great day on a previous job.

You are looking for the things that they truly feel good about.

2. Describe to me a terrible day on a previous job.

Look for the things that drive them crazy. Are they the things you love to do?

3. Why are you interviewing for a new job now?

You need to learn their history

4. What are your expectations from this job?

Do theirs match yours?

5. One year from now, what do you expect to be earning?

Does what they are willing to earn match what you can pay?

6. What other requirements do you have on your time?

This is very important. You need to understand their true time requirements for their outside life.

7. Please share with me two of your past successes. What did you learn?

You need to know what rings their bell and what kind of things excite them.

8. Two of your past failures? What did you learn?

How do they talk about them and specifically what did they do about the failure(s)?

9. What are a few of your strengths?

Do their strengths compliment your needs? There is a significant tendency to hire people just like ourselves.

10. What two areas in your life would you like to improve upon?

Have they thought about this or are they complacent about where they are?

11. Tell me about the best and worst boss you ever had.

Are you like either of these? You would be better to find out now rather than later. You need to know what the traits are that are important to the candidate.

To your continued success,

Reg Gupton

No comments: